Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Totally Tots- Valentine's Day

We had a fantastic time at today's Totally Tots Story Time! Everyone was ready to sing, count, dance, and listen to wonderful stories.  I decided to use the large screen TV on our story hour room to display the rhymes, fingerplays, and songs I use during the program by using a PowerPoint- I have to give credit to an amazing fellow children's librarian friend who shared this idea with me. I think it worked really nice and allowed the adults to be active participants.

Our theme today was Valentine's Day (a day earlier just to accommodate our schedule) we started as always with our opening song "The More We Get Together" and our quick "Let's Start Story Time" to get all the wiggles and sillies out.  The kids are really getting into this last song now and they all counting along with me. 
Our first book was
Sweet Hearts
Sweet Hearts by Jan Carr.  This is a sweet story of a little panda making and hiding Valentine's throughout his house all day long. I went with this book because the illustrations are different than what I have used other times, it is very bright and large format.  We followed our book by doing a short fingerplay "How Many Valentines" and once again all the kids were ready to count Valentines for father, mother, grandma, brother and sister.  Our usual "Shake Your Sillies Out" was a great way to get some of the remaining wiggles out followed by a round of "Open, Shut Them". 
Our next book was
Pigs in Love
Pigs in Love by Teddy Slater.  This is a brand new book at our library and I had the honor to be the first one to read it to our kids.  This beautiful board book is ideal for this age group, it is larger and thinner than the regular baby board books with an all over the page shiny finish.  The kids and adults both loved this book.  We did a quick "Love to You" song and a fingerplay titled "I Have a Little Heart" and closed with "Skinnamarink" which was a success.

Our last book was
Plant a Kiss
Plant a Kiss by Amy Krouse Rosenthal.  This is one of those books that stay with you, I read it over a year ago and I just knew it I would want to use it for a Valentine's story.  The illustrations are just adorable centering around the little girl and her amazing act of love. Her willigness to believe transforms this small act into something bigger and more dazzling than you can imagine.  We closed with our usual closing song "We Wave Goodbye Like This".