Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Totally Tots- Friends & Birthdays

Spring is finally here and I think everyone is at the park...I don't blame them, it is just to nice to be indoors.  Our theme today was friends and birthdays. We started with our regular opening song "The More We Get Together" and our "Let's Start Story Time" which helps get some of the wiggles and extra energy out.  Our first book was
Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
Is Everyone Ready For Fun? by Jan Thomas. This three friends are ready for fun even if it drives their chicken friend crazy.  The kids liked the over sized pictures and the unknown factor as we turned the pages to discover what it was time for...jumping, dancing, and wiggling. I followed with a version of "If You Are Happy and You Know It" with verses for sad, scared, sleepy, surprised, and angry.  They kids really liked it and we ended repeating it several times.  We then shook our selves silly with "Shake Your Sillies Out". Our next book was 
I Love My Best Friend
I Love My Best Friend by Laura Gates Galvin. I loved the photographs on this book and so did the kids. I read the story and then we went through it and checked out all the photos. I had several finger plays to celebrate our birthdays "My Birthday Cake" and "Make a Wish", and a fun song that got us moving throughout each month "Birthday Months". The kids really liked sharing their birthday stories with me.  I found a little story about a girl coming to story time for the first time and knowing no one but how by the end she had made friends at story time. I used finger puppets to tell the story. My last book was
How to Be
How To Be by Lisa Brown.  I just found out this book and loved the simplicity of the story, the colors and illustrations, and how it all comes together at the end.  The kids really liked the illustrations and how you can be very different animals like a spider and a monkey.  We finished with another finger play "Four Friends" and singing "Skinnamarink" followed by our closing song "We Wave Goodbye Like This".