Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Caudill Update

I was so busy last week that I never got around to update my Caudill progress from two weeks ago.  I have been trying to focus on a particular award each week and depending on the award I might only get to read two or three books a week. This was one of those weeks with only two books read, you have to remember some of them are almost 400 pages! But they were great books. 

The Outcasts (Brotherband Chronicles, #1)
The Outcasts Brotherband Chronicles (Book 1) by John Flanagan. I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes adventures and thrill.  As you read it you get to know this unusual group of outcasts as they become a "brotherband".  These young Vikings enter training to become warriors and in the process discover who they are and what becoming a "brother"means for their future.  Hal and his friends are consider outcasts each on its own way but together they will battle at sea against rival brotherbands (the Wolves and the Sharks) with a cliff hanging ending.

A Tale Dark & Grimm (A Tale Dark & Grimm, #1)
A Tale Dark & Grimm by Adam Gidwitz. I have to admit that I was disappointed with this book.  While the story is intriguing and somewhat dark my overall engagement was very low.  I liked the main characters and the odd twits to the traditional fairy tale stories, but there was something missing for me.