Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New books for the New Year

Happy New Year!

Like most everyone I have spent the last few days thinking about my new year's resolutions, this year one my resolutions is to keep up my reading and reviews, along with starting a Storytime Themes section on this blog.  I have also decided that I need to venture out of my comfort zone and explore our informational text (aka non-fiction books). My library has a growing collection and try really hard to find books that would appeal to a wide range of readers.

As I was browsing the new books shelves I came across this very interesting  biography.

  Noah Webster and His Words by Jeri Chase Ferris, illustrated by Vincent X. Kirsch.  It caught my eye for several reasons- first it fit my new resolution, it is also a biography-double reward, and the illustrations are a unique combination of watercolors, oversized characters, and black outlines. As I read it I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't read as a biography, Ferris has done a great job at including some humor and personal anecdotes on Webster's life while ensuring the facts are there.  Throughout the text there are short definitions such as "CON-VINCED [verb: overcame by argument]" adding a sense of urgency, action, or simply humor.  The book includes a nice timeline on Webster's life and accomplishments.  Check it out at our library.


I couldn't abandon picture books and since we still haven't had any significant snow this year this book just called my name. If you are like me missing the white backgrounds check out our latest display of winter books- everything snow and winter there.


A Perfect Day by Carin Berger. This book reminds me of Snowy Day by Ezra, the perfect snow day to share with friends playing, sledding, throwing snow balls and much more on their snowy hillside village.  Berger’s snowman characters are full of color to pop through the white snowy backgrounds. The  illustrations on this book are unique cut-paper collages made out of old books, letters, catalogues, and ticket stubs.  I enjoyed finding the small details on each collage. You can check out this come at our library.

Book Cover
You’re Finally Here! By Melanie Watt. This little bunny is so excited to have you (the Reader) finally here. Where have you been all of this time? Waiting has been so hard but now that you are here you two will have the greatest time reading this book…as long as you have canceled all of your plans, that is. The large print and animated illustrations would capture the attention of young readers.  I loved reading this book to my 5 year old, granted some of the settle humor was lost on him.  The super sized pictures are great to capture the attention of readers plus it lends itself for some dramatic reading.  Come check it out at our library.