Monday, June 17, 2013

Monarch Picture Books



Biblioburro: A True Story from Colombia 
Biblioburro: a true story from Colombia by Jeanette Winter, Beach Lane Books, 2010.This is a true story about the power of stories.  Luis Soriana loves books and wanted to share them with others in their remote Colombia town.  Since he lacked any form of transportation he used the only transportation he had available, his trusty burros Alpha and Beto. He built some crates and started bringing books to kids in other towns.  He became a storyteller and reader advisory guru all in one.  I love the acrylic illustrations depicting Luis storytelling tales like “The Three Little Pigs”, Winters uses bright details  to create images of the native landscape and the challenges Luis encountered like no road or bandits.  The story reminded me of other traveling librarians like  “The Librarian of Basra: A True Story from Iraq”  which I found out was written by the same author.  

I Want My Hat Back 
I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen, Candlewick Press, 2011.I read this book a while back to a class of preschoolers and loved the settle humor on it, and was surprised at how young children seem to got it too.  Bear has lost his hat and he almost gives up until he remembers a key detail that will get him his hat back.  Klassen’s illustrations are captivating and a bit spooky as I realized the character’s eyes were following us throughout the story when I re-read it to my son.