Tuesday, September 3, 2013

End of Summer Mussings



Summer is coming to an end fast, before we know it the leaves will change colors and the weather will get cooler. This has been my first summer in the Youth Services Department and it has been a busy one.  We implemented a new online program to manage our registration and book logging and for the most part, it worked amazingly.  Patrons loved not having to fill endless pieces of paper and we loved not having to tally them.  We found by accident that not having to spend some much time focused on managing the onslaught of paper meant more meaningful interactions with patrons. My readers advisory skills were put to the test and most time I was able to find a book or two for an eager or reluctant reader. 

August  was supposed to be the month to recharge, but instead it has been consumed with programming and weeding.  I have been developing new programs and adding sessions to my existing programs, moving dates and times, and revamping my “baby bloomers” to incorporate Every Child Ready to Read II (ECRRII).  Some of the new things I will be doing this fall is hosting a monthly family storytime on Saturday mornings. I wanted to reach out to working parents or those whose little ones are starting preschool during our regular story times.  I will also be hosting a book release party for the latest Wimpy Kid book,  Diary of a Wimpy Kid Hard Luck  due out November 5th.   It has the potential to be a fun afternoon with trivia games, creative snacks, and ALA free goodies.

I am excited for the busy fall ahead of me, for the new opportunities and families I will get to serve, for the children who will walk away from the library having shared stories, songs, and play time. I am reminded everyday that I have the perfect job and work in an amazing community.