Thursday, April 11, 2013

Baby Bloomers & Crawlers- Rain

Today was my first session of our Spring Baby Bloomers story time, we officially started last week, but I was away at training, so I missed seeing my babies.  At the end of the winter session, I decided to add a new group and called it Crawlers (12 to 24 months) I wanted to give those in between their own space.Sadly, the only time I had available (11:45 am-12:30 pm) is not working and they are all showing up at the regular time (10:45 am). But, I am digressing and it truly was exciting to see familiar faces and some new boys and girls this morning. It was a rambunctious group ,with lots of boys running around, which I blame on the rain...not my rain theme, but the actual rain outside. 

We started with our traditional opening song "The More We Get Together" and our "Wiggle, Wiggle". Our first book was 


?Viento O Lluvia? = Wind or Rain?
Wind or Rain? by Anna Nilsen. (I only  had the English version).  The kids loved the spinning face and how it changed from happy to sad.  Some parents had started singing "Itsy Bitsy Spider" so I decided to use yesterday's song and brought out our little spider and again it was a hit.  Not a single kid was afraid. They are a brave bunch. I used our "Colors in the Rain" flannel and we pointed out the different colors.  Our next book was  
Split! Splat! 
Split! Splat! by Amy Gibson. This book was probably better for the older kids, but I liked the bright pictures and all the different sounds you hear as you read it aloud.  Since I was starting to lose their attention, I decided to go back to the flannel board and use the "Itsy Bitsy Spider" flannel pieces as we chanted the rhyme.  We then started singing "Rain, Rain Go Away" and ended going around the room calling each kids.  Since we had a bit of time I decided to read the last book


One Rainy Day 
One Rainy Day by Tammi Salzano.  This is a cute and very short story about a little duck playing in the rain.  And then did a fingerplay  "Rain" and a short song with motion "Rain Is Falling Down". By this point all attention spam was gone so I just went to our closing song "We Wave Goodbye Like This".